Saturday, October 10, 2009

Autumn is here, and the kites come to life!

I took a walk to a nearby park the other day. I was pleasantly surprised when I found a huge mass of people laughing, playing, and flying kites! I saw a poster in the teacher's lounge saying, "Autumn is here, and the kites come to life!" I was hoping to see this aspect of Autumn in the Czech Republic, and I picked the perfect day to go on a wandering walk! The sky was beautiful, the weather was windy and perfectly autumn!
What made this moment perfect was the day leading up to it. Earlier that day, one of my classes was working on writing stories. I read many fun stories about kittens or swimming. Then, I read one story about a "Bad dad." It was heartbreaking to read the unsugar-coated story of a little girl whose dad broke her family apart. The English language of these kids really is pure. They don't know the ways which we beat around the bush. They say what they mean. I cried all the way home after reading her story.
Even before this day, I prayed that God would break my heart for the people here I'm supposed to be ministering to. Praise Him for listening to my prayers! I pray that He increases my capacity to love these kids!

One thing about that day that stuck out to me is that the friends trying to console this girl talked of her new dad and her new life. They said, "The old has gone, the new has come." I'm about 90% sure they've never heard 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come." I know this little phrase they used to talk about her dad was God's words to me as well. I am here for a purpose. I'm a new creation. I want my students to know the reality and truth of those words.


This picture is me with some students. YES, that IS a Georgia Tech shirt! I was so excited to see those familiar colors that I couldn't resist taking a picture.

One side note-I got a chance to explore a town in Poland! I had such a great time with my team, but we didn't think about all the changes that the short one hour ride would bring about! Who knew the stores in Poland wouldn't accept Czech Krowns!? Oh well, maybe next time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment